Most young people can’t wait to drive, but auto care education should start well before mom and dad hand over the keys. Understanding the basics before getting behind the wheel will help keep a young driver safe on the road. We, therefore, recommend that new drivers learn the following auto care procedures, all of which should form part of a preventative maintenance plan:
- Check the battery, and if necessary, replace it. Make sure the connection is corrosion-free, tight and clean.
- Check the belts and hoses to ensure they aren’t loose, frayed, brittle, cracked or showing signs of excessive wear.
- Check all fluids, including brake and transmission, power steering, engine oil, as well as coolant and windshield washer fluid.
- Have the brake system checked once a year and have the rotors, drums and linings inspected during every oil change.
- Schedule regular tune-ups to help the engine deliver the right balance of fuel and power and the lowest level of emissions.
- Have the exhaust inspected for broken supports, damage, leaks, or unusual noise. An exhaust leak can be dangerous and should be corrected right away.
- Have the suspension and steering systems checked annually, including the shocks, struts and chassis components such as tie rod ends and ball joints.
- Check the tires. This is probably the most important element of auto care – pressure, tread and alignment. It is also a good idea for all drivers to know how to change a tire.
Since 1979, our team at Scotty Muffler & Auto Repair has been providing honest and dependable services in the Lake Alfred area of Florida. Our certified technicians will have your truck or car back on the road in no time!